Thursday, October 7, 2010

Really Green

Continuing my travel journal...

August 17, 2010, Day 18:

We are in Angel’s Camp, Calaveras County, California, which if you’re like me you probably didn’t know is frog country. This amphibias area was popularized by Mark Twain in his book, “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” which he published under his true name, Samuel L. Clemens. This toad town is totally tainted by the creature since they really are the only things here. Even the color scheme of the World Mark we are staying at has a froggy after taste; I mean it. And when I say I mean it, I really mean it.

To try to escape the green frog world, we went to Jamestown. No, the one in CA. Which if you’re like me, you didn’t know there was such a place. And this place was sort of an old train yard, housing trains from every western film that ever had a train in it. There was a room where they showed some of the scenes from a few of the shows and movies that were filmed there. When the scenes finish, they start again. I now know by heart one of the last sequences in “Back to the Future 3,” and “High Noon,” and I meant it. Now when I say, I mean it, I really mean it.

After burning up in the heat looking at trains, we went to see some specifically titled “Big Trees.” The trees, namely, were Sequoias and Red Woods. Suddenly the vague name puzzle began to piece itself together. The Big Trees were amazing. And up where the trees were was at least 10 degrees cooler than Angel’s Camp, so we stayed up yonder awhile before returning to Frog Ville. Later in like manner we frog-hopped to the pool, and only ate a few flies on the way.

Next we had another amazing meal and played some Mad Gab. Being with Gramps and Gran is always a barrel of laughs, especially when Mad Gab is involved; and I mean it. And when I say I mean it when Mad Gab is involved, “Hi rell He Me Net!”

No comments:

Post a Comment