Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Last Day

Yeah, I finally got writer's cramp, I mean bored, no! I mean finished with all the journal entries I made on the trip. You can tell by reading this one that I was a tad bit tired and/or dazed from the traveling. Just hand me the straight jacket, Hitchcock.

"Aug. 19, Day 20:

Today was the twentieth day of travel, that is the twentieth day of the trip, the nineteenth day of the month, the twentieth day of family vacation, one more day spent in the car the nineteenth day since I’ve seen our house, the twentieth day of travel; the last day.

The drive from Calaveras County California to Orange County, for me at least, was spent in the far back seat of the car, which brought back memories of when that was “my seat” and would ride back there most often. The only exciting thing I saw on the drive was a grass fire burning up the yellow fields of Northern CA. My other family members may have seen interesting things out of the windows, but I was looking at my DS all day.

It seems strange to be back, and the only way I can think now how to describe it is different. It seems as though a part of me is missing as I walk the familiar floors and touch the same old walls, and yet inside I feel as though I have gained much from the time outside the home. But I feel a stranger under the roof, not as a burglar, but though someone has robbed me. Perhaps it is the fact that nothing has really changed inside the house, nearly everything is exactly how it was (except maybe dustier) when I left twenty days ago, and am now back twenty days later, nineteen days since I last saw the house, the last day, but I feel different than I did 3 weeks ago. And perhaps it is some strange phenomenon like the scheme of life…One quick, overall glance and nothing seems to have changed, but a better observer would conclude in a very Sherlock Holmes like manner, that much has indeed happened. Though in a couple of days the trip’s blur will dissipate, and life will seem to go on like the objects in the house; the same they were when we left twenty days ago, twenty days of travel and vacation, nineteen days since I last saw the objects in the house, maybe if I watch more closely I will see that things really aren’t always the same, but are different. Suddenly I shall find myself more filled “at home” all the time. I can now look ahead, to the “bear” speck of the future, and have hope that that is indeed what it is.

Well, I’m back. Thank you for your prayers!"

If you think that this is the end of my crazy blabbering about road trips, then you are road kill-wrong! I will continue to blabber about epic awesome travel times until I am too old to travel! Eat that, possum boy!

3 comments:

  1. haha, I like your blog title. and the subtitle.
    (I think, though, 'perspective' would make a little more sense than 'prospective.' just a thought.)

    I think your closing thoughts are dead-on...while that feeling is almost impossible to describe, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it applies to more than just trips too - like when your really good friends leave the country.

    thank you for taking the time to record your adventures and for and sacrificing your mental health to post your journal entries (see, keeping a journal is useful after all :P). I enjoyed them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Thanks!
    And Thanks for the heads up too. Sometimes it pays to read what you write...but I never do that. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what us potential editors are good for, reading over other people's writing so they don't have to ;)

    ReplyDelete